Bayern Munich CEO Oliver Kahn has said that the ruling body FIFA’s announcement of a 32-team Club World Cup came without prior consultation with the European Club Association (ECA) and that as it stands now ECA clubs can’t take part.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino had said last month the global club tournament would be expanded from seven to 32 team from 2025 onwards and is to take place every four years.
Kahn told Friday’s Bild paper that FIFA’s announcement came “without first having clarified it with the clubs within the framework of the ECA.
“The contract between FIFA and the ECA, which regulates the cooperation and also the fee for national team players to be sent to the clubs at the World Cup, expired in 2022.
“As long as there is no agreement here, there can be no Club World Cup with ECA members. We are in agreement on that in principle in the ECA.”
The ECA brings together more than 230 clubs across Europe. Kahn is a member of the ECA board since 2021.